Great law firm. Did a fantastic jobYasmin A.
Long Island Personal Injury Lawyers
NY Accident Attorneys Defend The Injured In Suffolk County, Nassau County, & Throughout Long Island
When a person, organization, or other entity is legally responsible for your personal injury, you may be entitled to receive fair compensation from them. They should cover the expenses, bills, and lost income caused by their action or negligence, but many will try to wiggle out of the responsibility. That’s why you need a good Long Island personal injury lawyer to represent you.
Even when a settlement offer is made, it can be much lower than you deserve. A good personal injury attorney will fight tooth and nail for your interests to ensure that you get the financial compensation to help you with your medical expenses, bills, among others.
Here at Harrison Law Group, we will even handle communication with insurance companies and other details to give you peace of mind as you recover.
What Qualifies As a Personal Injury In Long Island, NY?
A personal injury is a legal dispute arising from an incident caused by another person or entity when that incident causes you pain and suffering in your body, mind, emotions, or reputation (as opposed to your property).
Pain and suffering, in this case, includes but is not limited to:
- Bodily harm such as chronic pain, broken bones, nerve damage, loss of sensation, and paralysis
- Emotional distress is caused by acts such as false detention, wrongful arrest, invasion of privacy, malicious prosecution, among others. This can include worry, anger, grief, insomnia, frustration, PTSD, fear, and any psychological trauma
- Defamation and any injury to your reputation
A personal injury lawsuit can be brought against any party so long as you can prove that they are responsible for your pain and suffering. Even if they didn’t intend to do it, strict liability means that they are still responsible.
For example, a product defect that causes physical or emotional distress is the responsibility of the manufacturer, despite their best efforts to prevent it.
Negligence is the most common ground for a personal injury lawsuit. When a party fails to exercise a level of care that anyone with ordinary prudence would have, they are responsible for any personal injury that results from their action or inaction.
For example, a slip and fall accident due to unsafe working conditions or buildings is grounds for a personal injury suit and resultant compensation.
Having practiced personal injury law in The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island, NY, the team here at Harrison Law Group, P.C., has gained significant experience in all these types of personal injuries. New York, in particular, has a high incidence rate of these cases.
What a Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer Can Do for You
If you feel that you have a personal injury case, you should consult a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Even if you’re not sure whether you can win, the attorney will help you get through the most important and demanding times of the case.
For starters, you will need to have evidence, witness statements, and various other documentation while everything is still fresh. There are also legal processes that you need to set in motion before the statute of limitations expires.
Of course, you can also file a personal injury lawsuit on your own. However, there are many good reasons why you should opt for the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer here in Long Island, New York.
- Where liability for your injury is disputed, especially in car accidents. The lawyer will gather the necessary evidence to prove your case
- When you are being blamed for the injury. Many parties resort to shifting blame for an accident to avoid responsibility, lowering the settlement amount due.
- When multiple parties are involved, you can get a higher settlement amount when you work through an expert attorney. This is common in medical malpractice, construction accidents, and claims involving product defects
- When you are dealing with large corporations that tend to act in bad faith or bully you into accepting low settlement checks.
- When a serious injury is involved such as a permanent disability, you should definitely involve an expert personal injury attorney. Since you will require long-term care, the lawyer can contact experts to ensure that you receive the maximum amount you deserve
- When dealing with protected entities such as government agencies (e.g, train accidents)
The experience and knowledge of a personal injury attorney can give you an unmatched advantage in your claim. They will also help to advise and support you through the toughest parts of the case, which can sometimes take years.
What to Do Immediately After a Personal Injury Accident in Long Island, NY
The first steps you take immediately after your personal injury can significantly affect your case afterward.
Considering the feelings of confusion, pain, and being overwhelmed, it is critical that you know what to do to help your case. In addition, some jurisdictions require that you seek help within a specific period after your injury to have a valid personal injury claim. That is because some injuries may not show up until days or weeks later.
Here are the steps you should take immediately following a personal injury accident:
- Seek medical attention immediately; this should be your first step even if you feel fine.
- Contact a personal injury attorney in your area; as soon as you can, get in touch with an attorney who will evaluate your case and help you plan how to prove it. A good attorney will also work on getting the testimonies of witnesses, experts, and any documentation necessary for filing the claim.
- Follow your lawyer’s instructions; Your lawyer will likely give you strict instructions about not talking about your case, posting about it on social media, and what to do when dealing with insurance agents. They might also require you to consult with experts such as reconstruction surgeons, among others.
Make sure you follow all these instructions, however hectic it might be. This is what will help you prove your case.
- Gather and keep evidence; even though your lawyer will be responsible for this, you are going to have to seek and store all the relevant records. These include receipts, medical records, police reports, photographs, witness contact information, among others.
Hire a Long Island Personal Injury Lawyer For Your Accident Claim In NY Today
Accidents happen every day in New York. Even worse, a lot of big companies and organizations are based here, meaning that winning a personal injury case can be harder than you think.
That attorneys at Harrison Law Group, P.C., are a team of highly experienced personal injury lawyers serving injured clients in Long Island and throughout the state of New York.
And, unlike many other firms, we don’t dismiss cases simply at face value. Instead, we take the time to go through your case, evaluate the facts, and help you get the maximum compensation you deserve.
Our successes in the past 30 years are a testament to the dedication and care we invest in every case. If you are looking for qualified personal injury lawyers in Long Island, call us at 866-216-7911 or fill out our convenient online contact form for an absolutely free consultation.
Brett and Kristi are the best. Very professional. Any questions at any time weekdays or even weekends they always responded right away. When you become a client they treat you as if you are a family member of theirs. Brett will fight to get you the money you deserve from your lawsuit. I’m very happy with Harrison Law Group!! I highly recommend them.Sofiarose G.
Frequently Asked Questions About Personal Injury Accident Claims in Long Island, NY
How much money can I get from my personal injury case? -
Every personal injury case is different. A specific amount can only be determined after evaluating the extent of your injury and consulting experts. While minor injuries might make you eligible for a check worth tens of thousands of dollars, catastrophic injuries such as permanent paralysis often go into the millions.