Long Island Dog Bite Attorney
Have You Been Attacked Or Bitten By A Dog And Are Now Living With The Complications Of A Dog Bite, Such As Medical Bills, Lost Wages, Pain, Psychological Trauma, And Other Issues? Shouldn’t Someone Pay Besides You?
Look, We Know We’re Not The Only Personal Injury Lawyers In New York And We Know That You May Be Searching For The Right Attorney To Help You. We’re Different. For Decades We Have Successfully Handled A LOT Of Dog Bite Injury Situations, Probably Just Like Yours. Many Have Heard Of Us Due To The Results We Get For The Injured. Regardless Of Whether You’ve Heard Of Us Or Not, Tell Us What Happened. See How We Can Get Your Life Back To As Normal As Possible.
Why Choose Harrison Law Group for Your Dog Bite Injury?
- Highly Reviewed & Rated – 5.0 rating on Google. See some of our client reviews below.
- Accidents Don’t Wait for Business Hours – Neither do the right lawyers. We have weekend and weeknight consultations available in person or through Zoom.
- Highly Responsive – We pride ourselves on fast response times when communicating with our clients. We will never let your questions or concerns go unaddressed.
- No Case Is Too Difficult or Complex – This is where tenacity and knowledge of the law matter. We do what is necessary, even in difficult cases.
- Experienced – Attorney and founder Brett J. Harrison and Attorney Robert J. Clasen hold over 50 years of experience in Trial Litigation.
- Empathy, Detail & Urgency – Your case is the center of your world. We work with empathy to ensure you feel heard, meticulous detail to ensure no aspect of your case is missed, and urgency to get you your money faster.
- Caring & Compassionate (truly) – We’re sorry for what happened to you or your loved one. Unlike large firms, you’re not part of an assembly line. We really get to know you and your situation. We have been helping people in Long Island and throughout New York for decades.
- Personalized Attention – We understand and respect that everyone’s needs are unique. We treat you with the attention you deserve.
- We Keep You Updated – Transparency is key. We do not just return phone calls, but we call you at least every 30 days for a status update on your case, and if there is no update, we call to see how you are doing.
- Office Visits Not Required – We understand you may have children or are simply in pain, and we respect your time. Documentation and signatures can be handled via text or email.
- Flexible Meeting Times – We will go above and beyond to meet your expectations, whether meeting with you after hours, on the weekends, or at your home, hospital, or office. We will make ourselves available for you 24/7.
Statute of Limitations for Dog Bite Incidents in New York
New York law generally allows only Three Years to file a personal injury claim. This deadline is critical to your rights because if you don’t get your lawsuit started in court before New York’s three-year filing window closes, you’ll lose your right to have your case heard. Call our offices today to avoid missing your window of opportunity.
Ask a Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request a Consultation
Call (631) 465-9797 or fill out the short form below. We will usually respond within 1 business day but often do so the same day, Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.
Dog bite injuries are quite common in New York. A 2017 study showed that over 6000 emergency room visits in 2014 resulted from dog bites or related to dog attacks. The CDC reports that over 4.5 million cases of dog bites are reported annually around the country. While dog bites are very common, it doesn’t make them any less devastating. The consequences of a dog bite can be serious and far-reaching.
Often these attacks are unprompted and particularly damage children, the elderly, and people with physical limitations because they cannot protect themselves. In the state of New York, all dog owners are liable for the full cost of medical bills sustained due to a dog attack. In addition, if a dog is found to be a “dangerous dog,” its owners can be found liable for damages caused by pain and suffering or lost wages.
In New York, dog owners have absolute liability for all medical bills sustained from dog attacks. Dog owners can also be liable for damages such as pain and suffering, lost time from work, and other damages if the dog is considered a “dangerous dog.” This can be defined as a dog who:
- Without justification, attacks a person, companion animal, farm animal, or domestic animal and causes physical injury or death.
- Behaves in a manner that a reasonable person would believe poses a serious and unjustified imminent threat of severe physical injury or death to one or more persons, companion animals, farm animals, or domestic animals.
- Without justification, attacks a service dog, guide dog, or hearing dog and causes physical injury or death.
In representing the victim of a dog bite or attack, we will want to learn as much as possible about any dangerous propensities of the dog, such as whether the dog has ever bitten or attacked anyone before and whether neighbors were in fear of the dog attacking them.
Filing a Dog Bite Claim in New York
New York’s laws regarding Dog bites are somewhat complex. Some states use a “one bite rule,” while others use a “strict liability” rule. The state of New York uses a combination of these two legal theories. When the dog owner was unaware that the dog was dangerous, the dog bite victim can recover compensation for medical expenses related to the attack. However, suppose the dog owner was aware that the dog was dangerous and could injure someone. In that case, the victim can recover compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, mental anguish, disabilities, and pain and suffering.
To recover both types of damages in a dog bite claim, the victim must prove that the dog had a “vicious propensity,” meaning the dog had a history of violence. For example, suppose a dog had bitten a child in the past and then bit another child. The first attack would fulfill the vicious propensity requirements.
What to do if you’ve been injured:
- Report your accident to the appropriate authorities ASAP. Whether this is the police, an employer, a store employee, or a supervisor. Get medical treatment for any injuries you have sustained, don’t “shake it off.” Some injuries, like traumatic brain injuries or internal injuries, can have delayed symptoms. The sooner you can receive medical attention, the better for your health and your case.
- Collect as much information as possible. You or someone you trust should attempt to get information from any involved parties. Important information can be the names of all parties involved and any eyewitnesses. If you were in a car crash, get the other driver’s insurance information too.
- Take photographs. Photograph the scene, your injuries, the causing factors of the accident, and anything you think may be relevant. If you were injured on someone’s property due to a dangerous condition, take photos of the dangerous condition.
- Get copies of all relevant documents. This can include police reports, incident reports, medical documents, and communications with insurance companies.
The more information you have about your case, the stronger your claim will be. If you were injured due to another’s carelessness, contact one of our experienced New York Personal Injury lawyers to learn more about filing a claim.
Compensation that a Long Island Vicious Dog Bite Lawyer from the Harrison Law Group P.C. Can Help You Recover
Every dog bite case is unique. The amount of compensation you will be able to recover for your claim will differ from what another victim would recover in a similar case. Our attorneys are experienced in working with a wide range of cases. We will work to maximize your recovery.
Some of the damages that we can help you recover include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Expenses for reconstructive surgery
- Expenses for physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Cost of long-term medical care
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Loss of the capacity to earn
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of the quality or enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Wrongful death
Our attorneys will review your case to determine the damages for which you are eligible. We will work with you to preserve evidence to demonstrate the devastating impact the dog bite injuries have had on you and your family. We will argue your case in negotiations to maximize your compensation. We will even represent you in court if a settlement cannot be reached in negotiations. You can rely on us to work to get the best outcome in your case.
Should I Get A Lawyer For My Dog Bite Injury?
Maybe you are the type of person who is hesitant to sue anyone. Still, you could be experiencing pain, suffering, and discomfort, dealing with piles of unexpected medical bills, time off work, and being confused about how to move forward.
Shouldn’t someone pay for what happened? Having a Personal Injury Attorney on your side is, unfortunately, a reality for ensuring you get what you deserve and what is right.
Client Reviews – Harrison Law Group
Actual Words Clients Have Used to Describe Us & Their Experience
“Great job and great people to work with,” “they do everything the right way and get you all money and medical devices you need highly recommend ,” “Very satisfied with my settlement,” “They helped me through a car accident and always called to see how I was feeling and they were very compassionate and understanding with my situation,” “a very professional group and I highly recommend them,” “Harrison law group worked hard for me and I got better results then I expected,” “would definitely recommend them to my friends and family,” “they kept me informed of each step and checked in on a regular basis,” “The Harrison Law Group handled my case with professionalism and utmost care,” “they were quick to get me a response and kept me informed every step of the way with status on my case,” “a huge amount of compassion, understanding and commitment.”
If these things are what you are looking for in a law firm, then contact us to see how we can help you and your family.
We help families in Long Island (Suffolk and Nassau Counties), NYC, and throughout New York.
Locally, people come to us from Lindenhurst, West Babylon, North Babylon, North Amityville, Copiague, Farmingdale, Massapequa, Plainview, Melville, and South Huntington.
What To Do Now
We welcome your questions and want to understand your situation to help you move forward and get the compensation you or your loved one deserves. Call our office at (631) 465-9797 with questions and a description of your situation to see if we can assist or to schedule a consultation. Or you may simply fill out the form above on this page. Your form will be directly emailed to our office, and you can expect a reply within one business day and often within hours of the same day. All information you share is confidential.