OVER $100 MILLION IN SETTLEMENTS RECOVERED.
A recent CBS News article reported how Long Island roads have been plagued by an unsettling uptick in car accidents. With August marking one of the deadliest months, recording over 30 fatalities, the urgent need for driver awareness and safety on our roads has never been clearer.
The harrowing statistic from Walk Safe Long Island that over the past three years, 515 individuals in Nassau and Suffolk Counties have been injured while walking or biking is a wake-up call to all. As car accident lawyers in Melville, New York, we’ve witnessed the aftermath of these tragedies and the anguish they bring to families.
The good news is that many accidents can be avoided if drivers take proper precautions. In this blog post, we share seven of the most common car accidents and provide tips on how to avoid them.
1. Rear-End Collisions
These are among the most common accidents on the roads. Typically, they occur when one vehicle hits the back of another, often due to sudden braking or distraction.
- Always maintain a safe following distance from the vehicle in front of you, adjusting this distance based on speed and road conditions
- Stay attentive to the road and anticipate stops or slowdowns
- Limit distractions while driving, such as mobile phone use
2. T-Bone or Side-Impact Crashes
These accidents often occur at intersections when one vehicle strikes the side of another. The impact can be devastating, especially for passengers sitting on the struck side.
- Always obey traffic signals and stop signs
- Before proceeding at an intersection, even with a green light, quickly scan for oncoming traffic
- Avoid rushing through yellow lights
3. Single-Vehicle Accidents
In these incidents, a car might collide with an object, such as a tree or barrier, or veer off the road entirely. Factors like fatigue, distraction, or poor visibility often play a role.
- Stay alert and focused, especially when driving in unfamiliar areas
- Adjust your driving to suit weather and road conditions
- Pull over and rest if feeling fatigued
4. Multi-Vehicle Pile-Ups
These chain-reaction accidents often start with a single collision, especially on busy highways or in low visibility conditions.
- In heavy traffic or bad weather, increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front
- Avoid sudden braking; instead, decelerate gradually
- Always be aware of your surroundings and anticipate the moves of other drivers
5. Head-On Collisions
These accidents, while less common, can be particularly catastrophic. They usually occur when a vehicle inadvertently enters oncoming traffic.
- Always stay in your lane and be especially cautious on single-lane roads
- Reduce speed in areas with limited visibility and always use headlights in low light conditions
6. Pedestrian Accidents
As mentioned in the introduction of the blog, drivers can overlook pedestrians, especially in busy areas or due to obstructed views.
- Always yield to pedestrians at crosswalks
- Drive slowly in areas with high pedestrian traffic, like school zones or shopping areas
- Be especially vigilant at intersections and while making turns
7. Vehicle Blind Spot Accidents
Blind spots in vehicles can lead to accidents when drivers fail to detect other vehicles, cyclists, or pedestrians in these obscured areas while changing lanes or making turns. Such accidents can be particularly hazardous, as the driver might not be aware of the imminent danger until it’s too late.
- Regularly adjust and check side and rear-view mirrors to cover as much area around your vehicle as possible
- Always turn your head to physically check blind spots before making lane changes or merging
- Consider installing blind-spot mirrors or using vehicles equipped with blind-spot detection systems
- Be cautious in areas with heavy pedestrian or bicycle traffic and always yield the right of way when in doubt
General Driving Tips for Safety
Safety on the road is paramount, not just for drivers but for everyone who shares the space, be it passengers, pedestrians, or cyclists. While being aware of specific accident causes and prevention strategies is crucial, a holistic approach to safe driving can make a significant difference. Here are some general safety tips every driver should consider:
- Routine Maintenance: Keep your vehicle in optimal condition by adhering to recommended maintenance schedules. Regularly check brakes, tires, lights, and other critical systems to ensure they function properly.
- Stay Alert: Always be attentive to the road and avoid distractions such as texting, eating, or any activity that might divert your attention.
- Adjust to Conditions: Whether it’s rain, fog, or snow, adjust your driving style and speed to match road and weather conditions.
- Use Seatbelts: Ensure that everyone in the vehicle wears their seatbelt at all times, regardless of the journey’s length.
- Mind the Speed Limits: Always adhere to posted speed limits, and remember that they are set for ideal conditions. Slow down if conditions are unfavorable.
- Keep a Safe Following Distance: Ensure there’s ample space between your car and the one ahead, giving you enough time to react to sudden stops or emergencies.
- Avoid Impaired Driving: Never get behind the wheel if you’re under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or even certain medications.
- Plan Your Route: Especially for longer journeys, planning your route in advance can help you avoid traffic congestions, road closures, and can provide alternative routes.
- Rest Well Before Driving: Fatigue can be as dangerous as other impairments. If you feel tired or drowsy, pull over and rest or switch with another driver if possible.
- Educate Yourself: Consider taking a defensive driving course or refresher driving lessons to keep your skills sharp and updated.
By integrating these safety tips into your daily driving habits, you can significantly reduce the risks associated with road travel, ensuring a safer journey for yourself and others around you.
When Safety Measures Aren’t Enough
Despite taking every conceivable safety precaution, accidents can still occur due to factors beyond your control. Whether it’s another driver’s negligence or unforeseen road hazards, the aftermath of a car accident can be overwhelming. This is where the experience of an attorney for car accident comes into play. Here’s some of the ways they can assist:
- Navigating Insurance Claims: They can help you understand and complete the often complicated insurance claims process, ensuring all necessary documents are submitted and deadlines are met.
- Negotiating Fair Compensation: Insurance companies can sometimes offer settlements that may not cover all your expenses. A lawyer will work diligently to ensure you receive a fair settlement that addresses your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
- Identifying Negligence: By examining the specifics of your accident, an attorney can determine if another party’s negligence contributed to the incident, potentially offering another avenue for compensation.
- Experienced Legal Counsel: With a deep understanding of state and local traffic laws, a car accident lawyer can provide advice and guidance tailored to your specific situation, helping you make informed decisions.
- Representing You in Court: Should your case go to trial, having an attorney means you have someone to represent your interests, present evidence, and argue on your behalf, increasing the likelihood of a favorable outcome.
- Handling Paperwork and Formalities: The legal aftermath of a car accident involves numerous documents, forms, and procedures. A lawyer ensures every detail is addressed, leaving no room for errors that could jeopardize your claim.
- Offering Peace of Mind: Perhaps one of the most underrated benefits, having a lawyer means you have a dedicated professional in your corner, allowing you to focus on recovery while they handle the legal intricacies.
Remember, a car accident lawyer’s primary goal is to advocate for your rights and ensure you’re in the best possible position to heal and move forward.
Harrison Law Group: Your Advocates After a New York Car Accident
Navigating the aftermath of a car accident is challenging. From grappling with personal injuries to managing medical bills and property damages, every step can feel overwhelming. At Harrison Law Group, as seasoned Long Island car crash attorneys, our long-standing experience empowers us to effectively address the complexities that arise from accidents involving negligent drivers.
We offer a comprehensive spectrum of support, ensuring that every aspect, from insurance negotiations to pursuing personal injury claims, is handled meticulously. Our commitment to you is unwavering, and it’s reflected in our approach: there are no initial costs, and our fees are tied directly to the successful outcome of your case. Plus, your first consultation with us is completely free.
More than just legal representation, we understand that behind each case is an individual seeking guidance and support. Our mission is to listen attentively, provide experienced counsel, and stand as your steadfast advocate.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, call us at (631) 465-9797 or complete our online contact form for a FREE consultation and strategy session with our personal injury lawyer for car accident team.
Remember, we’re adaptable to your needs, offering appointments during evenings and weekends, in person or virtually. And before you leave, don’t miss out on our FREE personal injury claims quiz. It’s designed to give you an insight into the potential strength of your claim. Click here to get started.
Copyright © 2023. The Harrison Law Group, P.C. All rights reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Ask a Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request a Consultation
Call (631) 465-9797 or fill out the short form below. We will usually respond within 1 business day but often do so the same day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Nursing Home Abuse
Real Clients, Real ReviewsRead More Reviews
(By Appointments Only)